Memorable writing

Why is it that the more success I have, the less confident I feel about my writing?

Think about that for a second and tell me if you've had any similar issues.

Winning contests, interesting agents/editors in your book should put you on cloud nine. But does it?

I received an offer to submit 3 chapters and a synopsis from the conference this weekend. Now, as much as I know they're polished and ready to go, I keep thinking they're not as good as they could be.

The story doesn't take chances the way it should. My characters aren't as interesting, quirky, well-developed as they need to be to sell the book. My writing isn't drop dead fabulous.

This is the sort of negative self-talk that I think a lot of authors indulge in. I usually defeat it by working harder. But as I tuck back into my first draft, I can't help but worry that it's not going to be enough.

And I don't want to rush to submit something. At the same time, I don't want to wait too long dithering.

So, what made a book memorable for you? A cool character? Great scene? Something funny? Heartbreaking? What made it a standout?

Today's goal: finish outline
Yesterday's goal: Made it half way through the outline.
What I'm grateful for: After being sick for a week, I'm finally feeling alive once more.
Quote: "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)