Back to Nic and Brooke

You may notice I've been messing around with my progress bars for WIPs. They come, they go. Word count is up, word count is down.

I'm back to working on Bound By Duty with a lighter heart. Since last October when I found out Susan requested it, I've really been struggling with tone. I originally started it with Desire in mind. It went through some rather drastic changes in the beginning. And I think it stands as my most difficult book to begin.

I had a great location. I had a bunch of great ideas, but almost immediately, I realized that my original notion of how I was going to get the characters together (her brother abandons her on the island with no money and no passport and sails off with his girl friend) wasn't going to be intense enough for Desire. So, I made some changes. I gave her a stint on a "Bachelor" like show. Well, Susan didn't like that idea. So, I took it out.

I have external conflict in the form of him becoming king of his country and needing to marry either a noble or a citizen of his country. She knows she can't have him for more than a few weeks and has to decide if that's enough for her. He feels that it's his fault that her brother died. Also, he can't offer her anything permanent and is reluctant to take advantage of her sexually. Unfortunately, to my mind his internal conflict makes him less alpha than Desire publishes. Not that he's a wimp, but uber alphas are all about confidence and knowing exactly what you want and how to get it. My hero is full of regrets and and knows because of external influences he can never have what he truly wants.

So, I've given up trying to target it to Desire. If I don't, I'll write a crappy Desire and it will never get published anyway. I'm going to write the book that needs to be written. I started with some tweaking to chapters one and two and it already feels stronger and richer. I'm starting to think, maybe I'm not cut out to write for Desire. Because, frankly, I just can't figure out how to write what they're looking for.

Today's goal: Finish chapter 3
Yesterday's achievement: Brainstormed Bound By Duty
What I'm grateful for: Letting go. Not an easy thing for a control freak like me
Quote: "That you may retain your self-respect, it is better to displease the people by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what you know is wrong." -William J. H. Boetcker