A funny thing happened when I woke up at 4:30 a.m.

I had an idea for a book in my head. Well, more than an idea. I had a setting, a conflict, and enough potential danger to keep the pace moving. In fact, when I got up, I wrote a 1800 word opening that just came out of no where.

Well, perhaps not no where.

I had certain notions about what I wanted to do in the story. I've been reading all sorts of new authors trying to stimulate my creative juices. I liked what this one did and that one did, but I couldn't quite get to what I wanted to do.

The last couple of tries at something new have amassed a decent word count, but none of it flowed right. I kept struggling with the scenes because my character's voice wasn't speaking to me. And if it's not speaking to me. It's certainly not going to speak to anyone else.

The difference between this story and the last couple I tried to work on was that even though I have absolutely no idea what's coming next, I know something will just spring out of the basic conflict of the world and the people in it.

The other difference is that this character has big problems. I know one of her inner conflicts, but that's all. Yet, I know that more are buried in there. And she's surrounded by all kinds of people that can make her life miserable. And they will.

The last difference is I'm actually excited about this story. Like last night, I stopped by the library to grab some books. And I couldn't wait to read what I found on the shelves (I got 7 books). It feels like I haven't been excited about anything in such a long time. I sure hope the feeling holds.

How about you? What was the last thing you read or wrote that felt more like fun and less like work?

Today's goal: Attend my daughter's dance recital
Yesterday's achievement: Found her the dance pants she needed for tonight's recital
What I'm grateful for: A whole new world
Quote: "Inspiration may be a form of superconsciousness, or perhaps of subconsciousness - I wouldn't know. But I am sure it is the antithesis of self- consciousness." -Aaron Copland (1900 - 1990)