500 words a day

I love this photo. It isn't me, but I sure wish it was.


Baby steps.

I've got it in my head that writing is work. It is. But it's also fun.

Or at least telling a story is fun.

Or it should be.

It seems like a long time since I've let loose and had fun with my writing. My internal editor sits on my shoulder, babbling non-stop in my ear.

I think I could use a serious dose of silly. But how do I let myself go when I'm too busy being "responsible" or behaving like a mom? Oh, who am I kidding, I've always been too self-conscious to do something as ridiculous as let myself be photographed with a statue's hand on my boob.

This new WIP is a voyage of discovery. Instead of devising a set of characteristics and quirks for my heroine, I'm drawing from my own behavior set. It's interesting and a bit cathartic. The book is in first person POV so in some ways it feels like I'm redesigning my past. If I was thrust out of my comfort zone, how could I handle the situations? I'm making her take the chances I was too afraid to take. Maybe I'll learn something for my future!

How much of you comes out in your characters? Are there things they'd never do because you can't see yourself doing them?

Today's goal: 500 words
Yesterday's accomplishment: 469
What I'm grateful for: Faith and confidence in the journey.
Quote: "The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind." -William James (1842 - 1910)