How time flies

Today I realized I haven't written anything in a year. I've been editing, rewriting, plotting, but in terms of sit down and create characters from scratch and write their story start to finish, I haven't done that.

A lot has happened writing-wise in the last year. I finaled in a ten contests, won a couple, got requests from a couple, pitched to agents and editors, attended 2 local conferences and national, participated in several on-line workshops and read a few books on craft. Now, what I need to do is apply all that knowledge.

So, I've decided to tackle my own little writing challenge. I'm going to try and write a 50,000 word short contemporary targeting the Desire pitch by July 1. Piece of cake you say? Normally, I would agree with you. However, I'm finishing up the last 5 chapters of a rewrite and traveling to Greece for twelve days during that time.

Am I crazy? You bet.

But I'm also attacking this new book with all the organization, planning, plotting, characterization lessons I've learned. Heck, I figure it will practically write itself. I figure if I write 1000 words a day between now and July 1, I will get it done. And to demonstrate my commitment, I've put a little word meter on my blog so my progress will be in plain view. I'll probably disappear for a while in June, but I'm planning on keeping my progress updated daily. Come back and watch the fun as I pull a manuscript out of a hat. Nothing up my sleeve...

Today's goal: 4 pages of chapter 8 edited
Yesterday's accomplishment: I finished chapter 7
What I'm Grateful for: That Bending finaled in 2 contests recently
Today's Quote: "You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."-Colette