Never stop learning.


One of my goals this year is to spend each month learning some new aspect of writing. January I took an on-line class on Defeating Self-Destructive Behaviors, but I fell so far behind on the posts that I decided I would do a self-study for February. Because a contest judge gave me credit for having read Deb Dixon’s Goal Motivation Conflict (and I hadn’t), I thought this would be a great time to tackle the book.

And what a wonderful book it is.

Although none of her concepts were new to me, I loved the way she used movies to illustrate GMC. For some reason, I have an easier time seeing the structure in movies than I do to books. I think it’s because they’re shorter and it’s easy to see the plot points. In fact, after hearing Michael Hauge at National, I now go to movies and break them apart as I watch.

My writing process is a work in progress. Before starting a book, I make sure I address GMC, the character’s enneagrams and character arc. Today I realized that I’m missing the growth of the romantic element. Specific, ever escalating moments where the characters appreciate more than just the sexual attraction they feel for each other.

Since one thing I took away from Deb Dixon’s book is the why/because statements, I’m going to add these two questions to my preparation.

Why does the hero love the heroine?
Why does the heroine love the hero?

If I can’t answer these questions, why am I writing a romance?

Today’s Goal: Work on Ch 3 (still/again/finally)
Yesterday’s Accomplishments: Finished Deb Dixon’s GMC book and had a couple Ah-ha moments (love those).
What I’m Grateful For: The opportunity to learn from people much smarter than me.
Today’s Quote: “Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind.” --William Shakespeare