Endings and Resolution

I’ve started and deleted this topic a dozen times. I’m fascinated by why people do what they do and probably should have gone for a career in counseling instead of business. But I think my personality is too impatient. “Here’s how to fix your problem, go do it.” Yeah, I don’t that would go over well.

So, I write about people and their problems instead and in the course of a story I get to help them deal with their issues. I’m passionate about happy endings for my characters, my friends, family, strangers and dispense nuggets of information (you notice I didn’t say wisdom) where ever I go to whomever will listen.

Here’s my question: If a character has multiple issues, is it okay not to resolve all of them by the end of the book?

I ask this because the movies that stick with me are the ones where I walk out of the theatre dying to talk to someone about it. If everything is resolved, do we walk away from a movie or book and never think about it again?

Another question: What was the last book or movie that left you still engaged when you finished? Why was that?

Mine was The Valley Of Elah. In most movies the hero moves from a negative situation into a positive one. In this movie the hero starts out with unshakable belief in the military system and an unquenchable pride in our nation. By the end he questions what he once counted on. On his journey, he brings faith to a little boy and his mother.

I left the movie, pondering how this new faith will influence the little boy and how our hero will now cope with a lifetime of beliefs no longer supporting him.

Plus I thought the movie was an excellent example of how a story can be moved forward through by showing not telling.

Today’s Goal: Finish chapter eleven revisions
Yesterday’s Achievement: Finished chapter ten revisions.
What I’m grateful for: 2 hours of free time on Saturday so I can go see a movie.