In between

I'm in my least favorite place in the world.

Between books.

Suspended between:

"That was a great story!"

and

"This idea sucks!"

I used to love beginnings. I embraced them with enthusiasm. The number of possible stories waiting to be told are endless. Which one to choose?

Unfortunately, I'm trying to be practical. If I want a career at this, I really need to consider what makes the most sense for me to be working on.

I'm gearing up for NaNoWriMo (50,000 words in one month, have I lost my mind?) by working out the characterizations and rough plot for my next book. On one hand, knowing where the book will end up is going to keep me from grinding to a halt in the middle. On the other hand, I'm taking such a clinical approach to the story that the creative fire that usually catapults me into a book isn't there.

Usually when I settle on a story, I get all tingly thinking of the characters and what hoops I'm going to make them jump through. So far, that hasn't happened with this story. I think it's because I don't have a real strong feel for the characters yet. I probably won't until I sit down to grind through the first few thousand words.

How about you? Are you gearing up to NaNoWriMo by working on plot, characters, etc? Or are you just going to PYBICHOK and start?