Letting go

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a control freak. I have a really hard time handing over control to other people. You're probably wondering what I'm doing anywhere near the publishing biz where the only thing you can control is the product you produce.

I bought Donald Maass' new book The Fire In Fiction. After attending his workshop last fall, I'm a fan. I believe in the whole tension on every page idea. I read a lot of unpublished writers and that is something most of them haven't yet mastered. I'm looking forward to discovering many pearls of wisdom in the coming weeks.

Work progresses on the YA. I'm learning to let go of the perfect first draft. When I get stuck, I use brackets and make notes. It's going to be an ugly first draft, but it'll be done. The second draft will flush out those scenes where there's only dialog, or where I haven't completed the action. Polishing comes in the next few drafts. At least, that's what I think will happen.

Oh and the last bit of letting go. I cut my hair today. I wanted to donate it and lopped off twelve inches. That wasn't the hard part. What happened next is where I let go. I basically let the stylist go at it. It's short. It's cute. And I'm glad I didn't try and control the outcome.

Today's goal: Haircut
Yesterday's achievement: 1000 words
What I'm grateful for: Wash and wear hair
Quote: "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti (1940 - )