What do you do when a book's not working?

As much as I hate to do this (because it's been requested), I'm putting Bound By Duty on the back burner once again. I'm on chapter 5 and I can't get the writing to flow the way it should. If I'm struggling this much, there's a good reason. So, either the book starts in the wrong place or the conflict isn't happening. Whatever is the cause of the problem, I'm writing really crappy prose. And the characters are flat and uninteresting.

So, tonight, I'm going to pull out some how-to books on writing mysteries and I'm going to put my energy into finishing my YA. That was my goal this year, after all. Maybe if I leave Bound By Duty to stew some (more), I can come back with fresh eyes later. Sigh. I really hate giving up. But sometimes you have to step back to move forward.