Short chapters and tension


Yeah, last night I finished a book. Oh, not writing. Reading. Big deal you say. Really? Because it's been at least 2 months since I've actually read a book cover to cover. I start them and somewhere in the middle, I lose interest and never finish.

The secret to the book I just finished? Short chapters and enough tension to keep me engaged. It was a paranormal YA. Blue is for Nightmares by Laurie Faria Stolarz. It was by no means the best thing I've ever read, but it kept me reading and that's saying a lot. I even cheated part way through and read the end so I knew who the bad guy was. But what kept me going was when I got to the end of a chapter, she ended with just enough tension that I thought, one more. If the chapters had been dense and long, I might have put the book down. But it was filled with action and a dose of mystery. Well done. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

How many books have you been unable to finish? What causes you to put them down and not pick them back up?

Today's goal: Finish ch 8
Yesterday's achievement: Got off 2 more contest entries
What I'm grateful for: Today's weather: Sunny and above freezing
Quote: "Hope is only the love of life." -Henri-Frédéric Amiel