A year in review

2008 was a good year in so many ways. What kept it from being great was that I didn't sell. Here's hoping that changes in 2009.

Each year I start with a list of goals. As is the nature of goals, they often change as the year progresses. So, here's what happened.




Number of conferences attended: 2

Number of Agents/Editors met with: 4

Number of entries into contests: 18

Number of finals: 7 (2 contests will announce finalists in January)

Number of manuscripts that finaled: 5 (4 series contemp, 1 fantasy)

Number of requests for full from contests: 3

Number of full/partial manuscript rejections: 1/4

Number of new authors read: 29

Coolest thing I did: Participated in the on-line Desire pitch

2nd coolest: Flew out to New Jersey to attend the Put Your Heart In A Book Conference.

3rd coolest: Attended Donald Maass' Writing the Breakout Novel workshop.

I started out 2008 really strong, writing every day, on top of what I wanted to achieve. That lasted about 2 months. As much as I'd like to be a consistent producer, I'm more of a feast or famine girl. I'm not sure that's going to change.

I'm not ending the year as strong as I began. Although I've been writing on various projects, I've yet to sink my teeth into anything.

Thanks to all my friends, old and new, for being there on this crazy journey to publication. Here's to all your publication dreams coming true in 2009.

And last, but not least, if you could do one thing different in 2009, what would that be?

Today's goal: Come up with 2009 goals
Yesterday's achievement: Worked on my historical
What I'm grateful for: A lot achieved in 2008
Quote: "Good plans shape good decisions. That's why good planning helps to make elusive dreams come true." -Lester R. Bittel, The Nine Master Keys of Management