WIP Titles

As Winter's dark chill closes in on us, here's a little vision of Spring to keep us looking foward.

My daughter took this picture of the Bleeding Heart on a macro setting. To capture the flower in such great detail, she had to hold the camera a couple inches from the plant and be very still. I think she did a fabulous job.

I don't know about you, but I love coming up with titles for my WIP. A title sums up what the book is about and often sets the tone. I know that most of the time a publisher will change the title so it's good not to get too attached, but I need something more substantial than the title "Emma's story" while I'm crafting it.

Some people also change their titles as the book changes. The Christmas Bargain for a while was His Borrowed Fiance before I went back to my original title. Either one works. The latter is probably more descriptive of the book, but I'm sentimental about the original title.

Why am I blogging about titles? Because today I settled on one for my new WIP. I know what you're thinking. She's started another book? What about finishing the half dozen languishing on my hard drive? Well, let's just say that I'm experimenting with a new direction in my writing. Something I've never tried before. And I'm not going to talk about it until the book is a whole lot further on just in case I jinx it.

For the month of December I've committed to writing 500 words a day on my newest project. I'm aiming to enter it in the 2008 Great Expectations. My last contest of the year.

How about you? How important are titles for your WIP? Do you put a lot of effort into coming up with something great or will just anything do?

Today's goal: 500 words
Yesterday's achievement: 647 words
What I'm grateful for: My parents are on their way home from Florida
Quote: "No trumpets sound when the important decisions of our life are made. Destiny is made known silently." -Agnes de Mille (1909 - 1993)