2 year anniversary

Two years ago I entered my first contest with a brand new short contemporary book called The Christmas Bargain. Naive girl that I was back then, I was thrilled that it finalled in the first two contests I entered it in. Thinking I was onto something, I kept submitting it and although I missed a few finals, it stands today as my most finaling book (7 altogether), the one that never placed first, and the only one (of 5) never to receive an editor request.

Unlike other books I've missed finals with and fixed, no matter what I did with this story, it just didn't appeal to any editors. Most people would give up. I did for a year. It's last final was 2007 Golden Rose and they just announced the 2008 finalists. It's not as if the story isn't good or that the writing is bad. I think my problem has been the heroine's characterization needed to go deeper and that I targeted the book for Desire and my hero isn't alpha enough for what they're doing. So, I'm reworking the plot a tad, resurrecting the dead brother and turning it into a Special Edition. I should have taken my cue from the first editor who commented that I needed to be careful that the family didn't take over the story. Oh well, I'm not always the brightest bulb on the tree.

How about you? Any lost gems under your bed?

Today's goal: Send A Christmas Bargain to the Southern Heat contest
Yesterday's achievement: Finished Bending through chapter 11
What I'm grateful for: Never giving up on a project.
Quote: "To follow, without halt, one aim: There's the secret of success." -Anna Pavlova (1885 - 1931)