What I did with my weekend


At some point on Thursday my forward progress on my current WIP got derailed. I'm not sure if it was that the regular job was frustrating or because I had parent info night at my daughter's school on Thursday that kept me from working that night or because the scene I'm working on is pivotal and I'm afraid I won't do it justice or if it's how I feel as if I'm not where I'd hoped to be at this point in my writing career.

So, I decided to take a little break and go shopping for new clothes, color my hair, get it cut and have a head shot taken for the New Jersey PYHIAB Conference. Then, I went to my favorite used bookstore (The Book Corner in Woodbury, Minnesota) and stocked up on all the urban fantasy she had. And I spent the rest of the weekend on the couch reading.

What I learned: Wow, there are some really good writers doing urban fantasy. Every book was 1st person. The two I read had a dollop of romance. From what Dawn told me, her readers are sick of Paranormal and wish the publishers would do something else. So, my question is, how long is the paranormal stuff going to stay hot? I think vamps are on their way out. I think shapeshifters have slid in to fill that spot. The two books I read this weekend had witches as heroines. What's next?

Well, playtime is over. Back to the WIP. My goal is to have it done by Saturday, September 27th. That means 1 chapter per day. Not sure that's doable, but we'll see.

Today's goal: Finish chapter 8
Yesterday's accomplishment: Got my headshot done.
What I'm grateful for: Dawn at the Book Corner.
Quote: "If your success is not on your own terms, if it looks good to the world but does not feel good in your heart, it is not success at all." -Anna Quindlen