What was old can be new

This is a picture of stairway to nowhere in the town of Kioni on the island of Ithaca. Much of the town was devastated during the 1953 earthquake and homes were abandoned.

My friend Lexi blogged about rereading a novella she'd written years ago and it got me thinking about all the stuff I've got buried in my hard drive. In amongst all the books that I wrote back in the mid 1990's, I have 3 completed romantic suspense that never saw the light of day. I never pitched them to an editor or put them in a contest. I just wrote them, decided they wouldn't "fit" into the publishing house I was trying to write for and abandoned them.

The writing isn't bad. It's all first draft stuff. My voice has altered slightly. I can definitely make improvements. Of course, at this moment, I have way too much on my plate, but maybe in the dead of winter, when all my creativity has flown south to a warmer climate, I can print it out and mess around with some changes. I still have no idea what to do with it (it's only 60k), but it might find a home somewhere, someday.

How about you? Any forgotten gems collecting dust on your shelf?

Today's goal: Get my Fantasy entry off to Where Magic Begins (deadline extended)
Yesterday's accomplishment: Submitted a travel article to magazine on sailing trip.
What I'm grateful for: All my on-line friends. You're the best!
Quote: Y"ou have to recognize when the right place and the right time fuse and take advantage of that opportunity. There are plenty of opportunities out there. You can't sit back and wait." -Ellen Metcalf