Starting something new


I got this idea for an urban fantasy and decided to write it. Got about 2000 words written and got stuck. I love the idea. I don't know that it's fresh, but I'm hoping it will be fun writing something I've never tried before. I've got an interesting heroine with a dark past she's running from. I've got a hot guy with questionable loyalties. And not one, but two, evil, secret organizations interested in my heroine. And I tossed in a little goth society for flavor.

The trouble I was having was that I hadn't quite gotten a handle on my heroine. My regular characterization charts weren't helping. So today, I took a couple personality tests from her POV and there she was in black and white with shades of gray. Her internal conflict with the hero clicked into place as did her thought processes and motivation for behaving how she does.

Within half an hour I had two thirds of the synopsis done. The words just poured out of me. It was wild.

Of course, I have no idea how it ends. I had lost hope that I could enter the first chapter into the Where Magic Begins contest (for which I needed a 1 page synopsis). Now, I think I might just be able to get that first chapter finished. I'm interested in what sort of feedback it receives. It's very different than the other paranormal stories I've judged. No vamps, no demons, no ghosts, no shapeshifters. Some magic.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Today's goal: Get my wireless system working
Yesterday's achievement: Research
What I'm grateful for: On-line personality tests
Quote: "Personality can open doors, but only character can keep them open." -Elmer G. Letterman