More Movies

This weekend, I took my daughter to 2 PG-13 movies. Yes, I'm a bad mom. But she picked them and she's got a pretty good head on her shoulders.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: It was okay. I'm a Brendan Fraiser fan, especially in this role. And it was set in China. They kept all the familiar gags in it without going too far. Kept me entertained.

Swing Vote: I've never been on the Kevin Costner band wagon.
I think the only movie I really liked him in was Silverado. The movie was pretty good. Perhaps a tad on the long side (there's only so long you can watch a father suck at being one). I really like the actress they hired to play his daughter. Madeline Carroll pretty much stole the show. And that's saying a lot when you've got a cast that includes, Kelsey Grammer, Stanley Tenucci, Nathan Lane and Dennis Hopper. It made me sad, both because of how awful things can be for kids who have to be the adult of the family, and because although this is a spoof of our political system, it's only a little over the top.

On a writing note. I started chewing on a new book. I'm diverting from category romance in favor of an urban fantasy. I'm doing this from a marketing standpoint. I considered what's trending up and down, what I'm interested in writing, and what I'm reading in paranormal contest entries. I've started and discarded a half a dozen things lately in search of something I could sink my teeth into. This might be it. I'll know more after I get the first 3 chapters done. I've committed to doing that much. For now it's titled Urban Fantasy. What do you think? Original, huh?

How was National for those that attended? Learn anything new? Last year I came back pumped full of ideas (and insecurities). It was such a great experience.

Today's goal: 500 words on UF
Yesterday's achievement: Not a whole heck of a lot.
What I'm grateful for: Lexi's back from vacation, and she finaled in Heart of the West!
Quote: "Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say 'infinitely' when you mean 'very'; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite." -C. S. Lewis (1898 - 1963)