Bucket List

Anyone out there got one?

I just finished Debbie Macomber's Twenty Wishes. It's not the sort of book I would normally pick up and read, but I have to say I really enjoyed it.

And it got me thinking about wishing for things and having them come true, even if it wasn't in the way you expected.

For example:

Back in 1998 I ended a long term on again off again relationship that was going nowhere. The hardest part of that ending was realizing that the years were passing and I might never get married and have a family. About then, the universe sent into my life a few single women who'd adopted from China. In 2000, I adopted my daughter, Emily. I got my family, just not in the way I'd expected.

When I look back on all the things I've dearly wanted, finaling in the Golden Heart has been a (n obsessive) dream of mine since March of 1993 when I first began to seriously pursue my dream of being published. I walked into my first Midwest Fiction Writers meeting and Susan Kay Law had just found out she'd finaled in the Historical category and sold. Up until that point, I'd dabbled in sending out manuscripts to Harlequin, but really didn't have the skill (just the drive) to be published. Right then, I knew I wanted to final in the Golden Heart and then sell.

Fast forward to March of 2010. I get the call. It might have taken close to two decades for me to see my wish come true, but it has.

Next wish, a sale.

Have you ever had a wish that came true only not the way you expected?