Channelling my inner teenager

As much fun as I'm having with this YA, I have to say that my heroine's voice is all over the place. Sometimes she's a dramatic seventeen-year-old (funny, flirty and a touch wry.) Sometimes she me trying to be a seventeen-year-old (dry--as in old and dusty, not humorous--and too thoughtful for her years.) Sometimes she's seventeen and her voice is a little darker than the book's tone (serious stuff is happening around her).

Since I'm trying to get the story down, I'm not stressing the artistic fine points right now. And every once in a while, she gives me gold.

I guess the important part is having fun. Something that makes the writing of a story a lot more enjoyable.

I scored my agent and editor appointments for National yesterday. I was totally freaked out about getting in and lining them up. In many cases there were only 6-11 appts per agent/editor. And getting on line was a major pain. Imagine my surprise to see how wide open it was. The major players (single title aquiring) in the publishing biz were all taken up, but there was lots of agents open. That's where I thought I would have the most trouble. Instead, I had quite a few of my top picks to choose amongst.

How about you? Are you going to National? Did you get who you wanted to pitch to?

Today's goal: 1000 words
Yesterday's achievement: Got my Molly entry off
What I'm grateful for: my editor/agent appts
Quote: "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing." -Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)