Gaining Perspective

I finally looked at my Marlene scores today. I got 45,40,30 out of 50. The comments were mostly helpful. This was the first contest for my YA and I'll be the first to admit it's in a rough stage. Today, I was putting together my entry for the Fire and Ice contest and I did note that a bit of the beginning was different. Hopefully each entry gets a little stronger.

I don't know if you saw that The Knight Agency is sponsoring a Book In A Nutshell Contest. Bastically, you submit 3 sentences (150 word max) and they pick the top 20. Those lucky people then get to have their manuscript looked at by an agent. I'm going to guess they'll get over 1000 submissions. I wonder if they have any idea what they're in for. Of course, you have to have a completed manuscript to query, maybe that'll slow some people down. I still don't know if I've got a shot, but what the heck. I tossed in A Case Of Meddling. I chose this one because although it's been requested, I'm hestitant about sending in the full because I'm no longer confident I understand what Desire is looking for in a new author. So this is my Hail Mary play.

To give you some sense why I feel this way, I should explain I followed up on Firebrand Literary's Query Holiday results. Basically, they opened the floodgates and allowed anyone (and everyone) to send a first chapter. They received 3700 submissions in a month. 900 the first day. GASP. That's the competition fellow authors. Daunting, ain't it?

Today's goal: Get the Fire and Ice entry off
Yesterday's accomplishment: Sent back all my judged entries
What I'm grateful for: The gumption to keep trying despite the odds
Quote: "Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough." Og Mandino (1923 - 1996)