1st contest of the year

I got my entry in to the 2009 Marlene Contest just under the wire. I love a deadline. Two years ago I entered. It didn't go so well that time, I'm hoping for better results this time. Not because I think this book is better than the one I sent in last time, but because I'm hoping I've improved as a writer.

Since I'm writing in different genres this year, I don't know what to expect from contests. But it sure feels great to experiment with my voice. The entry for the Marlene is a first person, paranormal YA novel. I'm pretty sure this is about as different from my "Desire" voice as I can get.

It's kinda fun to write YA. For one thing, I get to explore my inner teenager. For another, I'm not as constricted by structure. I like the idea that I don't have to be totally focused on the romance. My character gets to be a little more real than the average category heroine. I want my protagonist to have some flaws and I want my antagonist to have some good qualities. Isn't that what we find in real life?

And when I get stuck, I'm going to work on the Regency set historical romance.

And when I get stuck there, I'm going to revise my category stuff.

That should keep me busy until the snow melts.

What's your contest agenda look like? I'm going to hit the circuit hard the first few months of 2009 and toss my hat into some contests that I've never tried before. The Sandy, Duel on the Delta, Connections and maybe even the Daphne.

Today's goal: Get moving on my Winter Rose entries
Yesterday's achievement: Sent in my Marlene entry
What I'm grateful for: Emily and I have been pretty darn healthy this winter
Quote: "I can't understand why a person will take a year to write a novel when he can easily buy one for a few dollars." -Fred Allen, US radio comedian (1894 - 1956)