Voice and risk

This can be a very confusing subject for most writers. What is your voice? Do you know? Are you writing the sort of thing that suits your voice? I decided to switch from writing series to young adult first person. Getting into the head of sixteen year old wasn't hard, but sounding like her has been. I had to relax and be less formal in my speech patterns. But she started to come alive once I did.

As I judge contests, I find a lot of writers haven’t embraced their voice yet. They sound very much like the next guy. The last thing you want when you hit an editor or agent’s desk is to sound like the next person. Voice isn't just about how you say something, it's also about what you say.

If asked, I'd define my voice as provocative, a little dark, and sometimes funny. The challenge I have is to trust it more.

Are you willing to take risks with your writing? Put yourself out there? Run the risk that people may hate your novel? Scary stuff, isn't it? We all want to be loved. Exposing your baby to people's opinions--and possible ridicule--can be a hard thing to do. Does that make us write safe, middle-of-the-road stuff? Have you pushed your hero past his comfort zone? Have you thought about what might make him cry? Does that make you uncomfortable?

Today's goal: finish ch 6
Yesterday's achievement: 1st of half of ch6 done
What I'm grateful for: The story's flowing pretty well
Quote: "Put your whole self into it, and you will find your true voice. Hold back and you won't. It's that simple.
Hugh Macleod, How To Be Creative: 25. You have to find your own schtick., 08-22-04