Oh, how I love a new writing book

Early last summer I picked up The Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: sixteen master archetypes by Tami D Cowden, Caro LaFever, and Sue Viders, intending to make good use of the book. I then went on vacation and buried the book in my TBR pile. Returning from New Jersey, determined to attack my characterizations in Bound By Duty, I happily stumbled across this book and cracked the cover. This is why I buy books that interest me even when I’m not sure when I’ll get to them. WOW! All of a sudden, the characters that I was struggling to figure out are jumping off the page at me.

Now, archetypes aren’t going to work for everyone, but for me, it makes perfect sense that my hero is a combination of The Professor and The Warrior. And that my heroine is The Free Spirit. As I read the descriptions, the pieces began to click into place and their strengths, flaws and motivations burst into full bloom. Awesome! The book even contains reasons why they clash, mesh and how they change because of each other. Heck, they wrote my conflicts and resolutions for me. How much easier does it get than that?

Today’s goal: Finish my FAB revisions
Yesterday’s achievement: polished up my characterizations
What I’m grateful for: Other people’s insights
Quote: “You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.” -Jack London (1876 - 1916)