My Golden Heart Boycott

Golden Heart Deadline: November 17,2008

If you've read this blog at all you may have picked up that I'm not a huge fan of RWA's Golden Heart. I think it was once a "golden" ticket to publication. I do not believe that any more.

I'm happy to admit that some of my negative attitude is sour grapes because I haven't finaled, despite doing very well in various chapter contests. I also think the system is flawed because the judges are not trained, the scoring system is way too simplistic, and the fact that a significant number of finalists don't go on to sell tells me that the people who do final, while talented, are missing that something the publishers are looking for.

Add to that the fact that you get no feedback. It cost $50 to enter. Previously finaling manuscripts are eligible to be entered again as long as they didn't win. And it's a crap shoot that you will get 5 people who love your entry. No thanks!

So, this year, I'm saying NO to the Golden Heart. And I'm taking the $100 I would have spent on two entries and entering the Gotcha with 2 brand new manuscripts and the Happily Ever After with the two manuscripts Diana V requested.

If your goal is to gain prestige, go ahead and enter the Golden Heart. But if your goal is to end up on an agent or editor's desk, enter any of the numerous and less expensive chapter contests where you will receive (probably) feedback (and it might even be useful) and if you final, you might even get an offer to submit your work. Who knows, you might even sell!

Okay, I'm off my soap box.

How about you? Did you enter the GH this year? Let me know because I'll be sure and have my fingers crossed for you!!

Today's Goal: Send off 2 entries to HEA
Yesterday's accomplishment: Almost done with Chapter 3. At least I figured out why it's not working.
What I'm grateful for: Bookclub tonight!
Quote: "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it." -Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862)