I've been flogged!

Whoo hoo! Ray turned the page!

If you're looking for ideas how to improve your opening, this is the blog to do it. Today, the first chapter of my fantasy is up for comments on flogging the quill. Way cool! Stop by and vote yes or no and leave a comment.

I can see where this whole historical thing is going to be challenging. The research is soooo much fun, I may never get back to writing the book.

Currently I'm reading Liz Carlyle's Never Lie To A Lady. It's great, but it's a lot longer than I'm going to attempt. 400 pages. I'm noticing a little something. I like a shorter chapter. She only has 17 chapters in all. Some of them are upwards of 8000 words. That's too long. I like 'em shorter, around 4000 or less. I think the book moves faster with more breaks between scenes. And she doesn't offer much white space. Much of the story is narrative. I like a little more dialog. But it's very good. I have all 3 of the series and I can't wait to read them all.

How about you? Long chapters vs short? Where do you fall?

Today's goal: More plotting, another chapter, maybe a movie.
Yesterday's achievement: Got my desk prepared at work for the move on Friday.
What I'm grateful for: Being flogged.
Quote: "Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises." -Demosthenes (384 BC - 322 BC)