The Donald Maass Writing the Breakout Novel Workshop

OH MY GOODNESS AM I TIRED!!!

What a workout. If you have an opportunity, take this workshop. He's a great speaker and there will definitely be something you will take home.

If Donald Maass isn't appearing at a workshop near you, get his Writing The Breakout Novel Workbook and do the exercises. There's tons of great stuff in there.

If I had to summarize what I learned, I could do it in 2 words. DIG DEEPER. You may think you've done all you can. This man makes you go further. It's both scary and thrilling.

Now, of course, I'm not writing breakout fiction. I'm writing category romances. Or, as I'm now worried, I'm writing abreviated single titles. ACK! Nothing to do about it now. I've got an editor request. But I'm already bracing myself for the R and thinking about all those changes I can make to turn it into a big book. It has a big book feel in a little package. Of course, the idea of attempting ST is daunting. I don't really read them. Oh, I mean I have read them. But mostly it seems like the BIG GIRLS write them. You know who I mean. The ones everyone raves about. The ones who cut their teeth in category and soared onto New York Times fame. And it's not a cute, perky book. It's dark and filled with hurt and healing. Oh well, no guts, no glory.

So, for tonight, I've decided to go see a movie, then I'm headed home to sleep (I just hope I can--thoughts whirling, you know how it is).